2012年11月27日火曜日

BR 2-12: Incredible Earth


Did you know that there are mountains and valleys under the ocean? (P.6)

This time, I’m going to introduce everybody a book about Mother Earth. Are you interested in earth, nature, and a lot of natural phenomenon? I want to introduce everybody about iceberg, hot water, mountain, cave, and desert. One is iceberg. Do you know Ilulissat, near the North Pole? In passing I might mention that I haven’t ever known there before I read this book. There is one of the most incredible places on Earth-and glacier and icebergs here are very big. The glacier is about 40 kilometers long and it moves slowly about 30 meters to the Arctic Ocean every day.
Two is hot water. Do you like hot spring? Do you often go to there? Hot water and stream pour out of the ground. Suddenly, the water can’t stay under the ground and has to come out. I imagined New Zealand after I read. I have watched that New Zealanders worn bathing suits and took a natural hot spring bath in TV. In Japan, at the Jigokudani Monkey Park, when the weather is cold, monkeys take in the warm water.
Three is mountain. Do you know the biggest mountain in the world? It’s Himalayas. It began when two pieces of Earth’s crust met and moved up. Have you known this fact? I thought once again that Earth was so magnificent after I knew this fact. And the top of Mount Everest in the Himalayas is the highest place on Earth, it is getting bigger about 5 millimeters every year. Do you want to climb there? If I would climb there, maybe I die.
Four is cave. Have you ever gone to some cave? I have gone to a cave in Okinawa on a school excursion when I was the second year of junior high school. The cave was pitch-dark and very wet. Because the raindrop mix with minerals. And thousands of years ago, people lived in caves. They drew pictures on the cave walls. I often watch pictures in TV and books but I want to watch them firsthand.
Lastly, five is desert. Have you ever gone to some desert? I haven’t ever gone to there. I want to go to Bolivia in South America, there’s a desert made of salt called the Salar de Uyuni. It was a saltwater lake about 40,000 years ago, now the ground is hard and dry. The ground looks like a big mirror. It’s so beautiful and an incredible place.
This book was very good for me. I read it, and felt nature and Earth was so magnificent. I couldn’t care less about my tiny troubles. And I want to feel in my body magnificent nature firsthand sometime. Thank you for reading!

                               Reference
Richard, Northcott. (2010). Incredible Earth. Oxford, America. Usborne

[471 words]

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿